German to English Translations
Herzlich Willkommen! Hello, my name is Helen. I have been translating from German into English for over 30 years. Initially I studied German, Italian and History of Art, later specializing in German language and literature at the University of Reading. My year abroad was spent studying Germanistik and Anglistik at the University of Marburg.
Following my degree, I lived in Düsseldorf for well over a decade, qualifying as a translator in both the UK and Germany. Before becoming a freelance translator and lecturer in translation studies, I worked as a staff translator at an international steel company, the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, and the Association of German Engineers (VDI). I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and The Society of Authors.
Areas of experience:
- Academic research
- Stem cell research
- Environmental technology
I am a qualified MFL teacher of German and French in the UK and teach German to A-level, IB German B and IB German A Literature. I have a certificate in adult education and taught Cambridge First Certificate for many years in Germany. In addition, I taught commercial translation at the Volkshochschule Düsseldorf and Cologne University of Applied Sciences. I also enjoyed teaching younger pupils English at the Japanese International School in Düsseldorf.
List of Published Translations
- Leo Leowald, The i in Zürich, Travel Guide (Comic), Edition Moderne, Zürich, 2014, ISBN 978-3-03731-126-4
- Dirk Buchta, Marcus Eul, Helmut Schulte-Croonenberg, Strategic IT Management – Increase value, control performance, reduce costs, Gabler Verlag, 2009, ISBN 978-3-8349-1825-3
- Andrej Vizjak, Max Ringlstetter (editors), Media Management. Leveraging Content for Profitable Growth, Springer Verlag, 2003, ISBN 3-540-44005-4
- Klaus Wagener, Profil Floral Basics – magazine on floristry fundamentals for young florists, translated nine issues from 2003-2005
- Wilhelm Wagenfeld (1900 – 1990), Hatje Cantz, 2000, ISBN 3-7757-0886-3
- Richard Münch, Between Nation-State, Regionalism and World Society: The European Integration Process, Journal of Common Market Studies, Volume 34, 1996, pp. 379-401 originally published in Schäfers, B. (ed.), Lebensverhältnisse und soziale Konflikte im neuen Europa. Verhandlungen des 26. Deutschen Soziologentages, Campus, Frankfurt am Main, 1993: a selection of papers from the 26th Congress of the German Sociological Association, pp. 774–84.
- Richard Münch, Cultures of Modernity: Modern Culture and its Development in France and Germany, 2 vols, unpublished manuscript 1996 – I translated the whole of Volume 2 and oversaw the editing of both volumes for publication. Work was later revised and published as The Ethics of Modernity:Formation and Transformation in Britain, France, Germany, and the United States, Rowman & Littlefield, 2001, ISBN 978-0-8476-9921-6
- Richard Münch, The Political Regulation of Technological Risks, International Journal of Comparative Sociology, Volume 36, Numbers 3-4, 1995, pp. 109-130
Get in Touch
Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss your translation needs so that I may provide you with a quote. I abide by the Code of Professional Conduct from the Chartered Institute of Linguists and uphold the Dignity and Respect policy of The Society of Authors. If I am unable to help you, I am always happy to refer you to a colleague.
Helen Nurse BA Hons Dip Trans MCIL
Staatlich anerkannte Übersetzerin (IHK Düsseldorf)